Ham and Cheese Pinwheels
If you are looking for an easy appetizer i’ve got you covered! These ham and cheese roll ups make a great appetizer, lunch or dinner along with a side salad. They are even good cold and would make a great work lunch or a school lunch to pack for the kids.
This recipe couldn’t be easier. I use my favorite fool proof recipe for homemade pizza dough then roll it out and top it with sliced deli ham, swiss cheese and grated sharp cheddar cheese. The baked ham and cheese roll ups are then brushed with melted butter, dijon mustard, poppy seeds, garlic powder and onion powder. The mustard and poppy seeds go great with the smoked ham and swiss!
How to make Ham and Cheese Pinwheels
- Homemade Pizza Dough: Add warm water to the bowl of the stand mixer with the dough hook attachment. Add in yeast and honey. Stir and allow it to rest for 5 minutes. Add 2 cups of all purpose flour, salt, and oil. Mix to combine, 3-4 minutes. Slowly add remaining 1/2-3/4 cup of flour till a smooth ball forms that pulls cleanly away from the sides of the bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow dough to rest for 1 hour.
- Pinwheels: When the dough is ready roll it out onto a floured surface to roughly 14 x 14 inches. Cut slices of swiss cheese in half and lay them out evenly on dough, followed by ham and lastly sprinkle with grated cheddar. Roll into a log and cut into 12 even slices. Place the pinwheels in a greased 9 x 13 pan.
- Dijon Butter Glaze: Add unsalted butter, mustard and seasonings to a small saucepan and whisk until butter is melted. Mixture may be clumpy that is ok. Evenly brush glaze on top of the pinwheels.
- Bake: At 400 degrees or until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Store: Leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Freeze for up to 3 months!